Monday 19 March 2007

Conversing with the Acropolis

I’ve always had a strange relationship with the Acropolis.
Yesterday I woke up and had this strange need to go there. Not on the Acropolis herself, but somewhere close by. So I climbed up on the Filopapou where, as we all know, we can see the Parthenon “fatsa karta.”
Now, have I not seen her a guzillion times before? I have. Why is it that every time it’s like a fresh new time?
I don’t know.
So, I sat on a rock, lit a cigarette and listened to Pallantios’ “Hymn to the Acropolis.”
The strange thing is that, yet again, I found myself having a conversation with her. I knew she was listening.
A few years ago, I was close by again, in a state that I could not begin to describe. I remember asking her, or rather begging her in tears, for something I needed to happen. By the time I got home, I literally found what I wanted waiting for me by my doorstep. She had already responded.
Yesterday, I said to her, “you know what? You listened to me before. Listen to me again. I am sitting here looking at you, listening to hymns written for you. What else do you want? Offerings? The only thing I can offer you is my gratitude. Help me again!”
And you know what?
She did!

4 comments:

Ε.Α. said...

wow!
but, come on, tell us, which way did the Acropolis help you this time?
we could turn this into a movie you know
or a short movie
:))

ΚΑΛΗ ΕΒΔΟΜΑΔΑ!!!

Unknown said...

Η Ακρόπολη έχει μια περίεργη μαγεία που σε μαγνητίζει, όσες φορές και να την έχεις δει. Όσες φορές κι'αν ανέβεις τον Ιερό Λόφο και σταθείς δίπλα της πάντα νιώθεις μια ανατριχίλα να διαπερνάει το κορμί σου.
Αφιερωμένος στην Αθηνά, θεά της Σοφίας, κι'αν εκείνο που της ζητήσεις το έχεις σκευτεί σοφά, τότε σπεύδει απο τον Όλυμπο να βοηθήσει...

Anonymous said...

Βρε Cinestef, μήπως σε έχουνε ταμένο στην Αθηνά Παρθένο ή την Παναγία την Παρθένο; Μήπως να επαναφέρουμε τα Παναθήναια να δούμε μια άσπρη μέρα; Πέρα από την πλάκα παιδιά, εμένα η Ακρόπολη με κάνει να νιώθω μια μελαγχολία γιατί τη βλέπω σαν ένα κουφάρι μισοδιαλυμένο. Αυτά τα ολίγα!

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Μααααμααααα, ο cinestef, μου εκλεψε το avatar! Μπουχουχου. Κλαψ! Λυγμ!